[TN-Bird] Mendota Update for 9/25/05

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, mevans01@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, bassfiddle@xxxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, scot52@xxxxxxx, JAMES134@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:44:34 EDT

Mendota Hawk Report for 9/25/05

Larry McDaniel was the Mendota Hawk Watch Compiler for 9/25/05. Here is his
report followed by the Year-to-date summary:

"George Larkins and Lori Ownby started counting at 9:35 and stayed until
about noon. I was there from 10 until 5:35. Edward and Joan Nowak,
(hawkwatchers
from Allentown, PA), spent about an hour in the afternoon. They go to Hawk
Mountain. Their friend, Roger Hahn from New Orleans, was with them. Bob and
Kathy
Larkins from Mount Carmel and Rick and Jen Cox did some watching in the
afternoon."

"It was mostly cloudy with 10 - 20 mph winds mostly out of the South and in
the low 80s. Visibility was somewhat poor."

"The day's totals were BW 152, OS 1, AK 1, CO 2, SS 3."

Watch Summary:

Species                                           9/25/05
Year-to-date

Northern Harrier                               -
     2
Broad-winged Hawk                       152                             6303
Coopers Hawk                                   2
   16
Am. Bald Eagle                                 -
     6
Osprey                                               1
          21
Sharp-shinned Hawk                         3
16
Red-shouldered Hawk                      -
 1
Peregrine Falcon                               -
      2

Other:
Red Headed WP                               -
    2
Double-crested Cormorant               2                                    2

We have now reached a five-year high for Broad-winged hawks. We had 6262 in
2001.
I will not be at the site this week. If you go up and no one else is keeping
a count, please do so and send to me. Thanks.

The Mendota Hawk Watch is located at the old Mendota Fire Tower, atop Clinch
Mountain, elevation around 3018. The site is on the Russell/Washington County
line, about 3 miles north of Mendota, VA.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA