[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Watch Report 9-10-07

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Leonids@xxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, lizzie@xxxxxxxx, driggs5007@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:23:08 EDT

Allen Gill (Bristol, VA) and I kicked off the 2007 Mendota Hawk count
yesterday, September 10. We experienced a very slow day, but it was good to be
at the
old fire tower again, taking in the vista and reminiscing about old times. We
arrived at 9:30 a.m. and left at 5:30 p.m.  Temperatures ranged from 72 in
the morning and topped out around 88 in the afternoon. It was mostly cloudy and
hazy, visibility varying from 10-15 miles. Wind was also
variable-south/southeast in the morning to west/southwest in the afternoon,
5-15 mph. We had one
light shower around noon. Visitors included Dallas Shouns of Kingsport and
Caldwell Bricky of Gate City.
Totals:

Broad-winged hawk:     5
Osprey:                          1
Sharp-shinned hawk:     1
Am. Kestrel:                  1

We enjoyed the usual array of Turkey and Black vultures, Chimney Swifts, and
Ravens. Several flocks of mixed wood warblers also took our attention at
times.

Once this front moves out, we should have some good weather for hawk
movements. Hope the hawks agree. This weekend especially looks nice.

The Mendota Hawk Watch is held at the Mendota Fire Tower, which is located on
Clinch Mountain at the Washington/Russell County line, 3 miles North of
Mendota, VA,  on Pinnacle Road. If you need directions let me know. Come join
us
and catch "hawk-watching fever."

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA