[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Watch Report

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert.Riggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:41:21 EDT

Hi Folks:

After a slow three days, the numbers picked up today, especially during the
morning hours. However, the bright, clear skies and very warm temperatures are
making it hard to see birds during the heat of the day, especially in the
afternoon. Today, Bob Quillen and I counted 258 of the 301 Broad-winged hawks
that
we saw from 10:30 a.m. until 12:30. We only saw 43 the rest of the day. We
left at 5:00.

Violet Larkins, George Larkins, and Marian Finucane were at the tower for two
hours on Saturday, September 10. On Sunday, September 11, George Larkins and
Lori Ownby held the fort for about two more hours. George reported that some
birders from Tipton County, TN (Near the Mississippi), were at the tower on
Saturday.

The year-to-date figures include Friday, September 9, which were  posted
earlier.

Species                         9/10                9/11               9/12
        Year-to-date

Northern Harrier                 -                 -                     -
                1

Broad-winged Hawk          30                  7                    302
        375

Coopers Hawk                  1                    -                      3
                5

Am. Bald Eagle:                -                    1                      1
                2

Osprey:                           1                     -
 -                   2

Am. Kestrel:                    -                     -
-                    1

Red-headed WP              1                    -                       -
               2

Man Hours Spent:          6                     4                          15
             40

Come join us on the old Clinch Mountain for a great show! If you need
directions, let me know.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA
Hawk Watch Compiler