[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Watch Report

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jtredknox@xxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JAMES134@xxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, robertriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:17:05 EDT

Here are Mendota Hawk Watch numbers for September 20, 2004, with the
year-to-date totals in parentheses:

Broad-winged Hawk:     404(3437)
Sharp-shinned Hawk:      1 (10)
Cooper's Hawk:              _  (4)
Am. Bald Eagle:             _ (5)
Goshawk:                      _  (1)
Am. Kestrel:                  _ (2)
Red-shouldered Hawk:    _ (1)

Red-headed WP:            3 (21)

The weather was simply beautiful. The sky was completely clear and the
visibility was unlimited. A cool wind with a touch of fall was from the East,
southeast, variable (5-10 mph). The temperature varied from the mid-forties in
the
early morning to low seventies by afternoon. My thermal underwear felt good
early! Without some clouds or vapor trails as a backdrop, the hawks were hard
see in the afternoon. We saw 236 hawks from 9:30-12:00 noon, but only 21 from
12:00 until 4:00 p.m. Those helping today in addition to myself were Bob
Riggs, Bob Quillen, and Ron Pendleton. During the morning, we also had some
special
"quests" from Lebanon, VA: Ralph and Margaret Adkins, Larry Burton, Rick
Meade, and Ural and Edna Childress.

Note: The Mendota hawk watch site is at the old Mendota Fire Tower,
elevation, 3100, located atop Clinch Mountain, on the border between Washington
and
Scott Counties in VA. It is about 3 miles from Mendota, VA.  Let me know if you
need directions.

Hawk Watching: Catch the Fever and join us on the mountain.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA