[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Report for September 21

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, mtnjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jtredknox@xxxxxxxx, RobertRiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:39:08 EDT

Hi Hawk Watching Fans:
Here is the report from the Mendota fire tower for September 21, 2004, the
last full day of fall. The year-to-date totals are in parentheses. The tower is
located atop beautiful Clinch Mountain, elevation 3100 feet, on the
Washington/Scott County line. The site is about 3 miles from Mendota, VA.

Broad-winged Hawk:     403(3840)
Sharp-shinned Hawk:      _  (10)
Cooper's Hawk:              _  (4)
Am Bald Eagle:             _   (5)
Goshawk:                      _   (1)
Am Kestrel                    _  (2)
Red-shouldered Hawk:    _(1)

Don't know what has happened to our accipiters, eagles, ospreys, and falcons.
Except for one lone Sharpie yesterday, we've been skunked for the last two
days. I must be holding my mouth wrong, or perhaps they don't like the current
weather pattern. According to Hawk Mountain, PA, they should be coming,
especially Kestrels, Sharp-shinned hawks, Ospreys, and more Broad-wings. They
have
recorded over 6,163 Broad-winged hawks as of September 19.

Today's Participants: It is rather challenging to accurately count migrating
hawks during the peak week when you're alone, but I gave it a try from 9:00
a.m. to 4:30 p.m. today. I now have severe eye strain and I need a neck brace!
Marion Finucane arrived to provide some relief around 3:30. She stayed there
alone with he dog Bozo until 6:30 p.m.

The weather was very similar to yesterday, except it was a little warmer and
we finally had a few high clouds for backdrop in the late afternoon. The wind
was out of the East 5-15 in the a.m., and then slacked off to a slight breeze
by 3:00. There was a fairly steady flow of birds all day until about 4:30.

Hawk Watching: Catch the Fever. Come see for relief.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA