[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Report 9/21/05

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, mevans01@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, JAMES134@xxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:19:53 EDT

Mendota 9-21-05

It was one of those memorable days at the Mendota Fire Tower. After battling
heat, biting gnats, high skies, blinding sun, tired arms, sore necks and eye
strain, those optimistic souls who hung around until 6:15 were rewarded with a
huge kettle of hawks which suddenly appeared directly above the tower just as
we were getting ready to leave. We had on our packs, took one last look around
as is the tradition, and suddenly one lone hawk turned into 600. What a way
to end the day!

Bob Quillen, Tom Parker and I were at the site from 9:15 a.m. until 6:30.
Bill Grigsby joined us around 3:00 p.m. and was there to witness the grand
finale. Others helping out for part of the day included James Brooks, Tom
Zollman,
Dennis Conkin, John Pyle, Sue and Ken Hopkins, and Paul Dillow. It was clear
early with winds out of the South/southeast. Visibility was good all day. The
first Broad-winged hawks starting coming by around 9:45 a.m. and we had a
steady
flow until the winds died down and the birds started flying high. Only an
occasional wispy cloud in the right place at the right time allowed us to see
hawks in the afternoon. They looked the size of gnats in our binoculars.
Finding
them was more like work. No pay, but good fringe benefits!

Species:                            9/21/05
Year-to-Date

Northern Harrier                  1                                      2
Broad-winged Hawk         1008                                4182
Coopers Hawk                     -                                      8
Am. Bald Eagle                    -                                     3
Osprey                              2                                      19
Am. Kestrel                          -                                     2
Sharp-shinned Hawk            -                                       7
Red-shouldered Hawk          -                                       1

Other: Red-headed WP:       -                                        2

Man Hours:   50

The Mendota Fire Tower is located atop Clinch Mountain, on the
Washington-Russell County line, about three miles north of Mendota, VA. Come
join the fun.
And don't forget the third annual Mendota Hawk Festival, Saturday, September
24, at the Mendota Community Center.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA