[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Report 9/16 & 9/17

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, comeback@xxxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JAMES134@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:10:34 EDT

Hi Folks:

George and Violet Larkins, who kept the Mendota Hawk count for many years,
were on duty this weekend.

On Saturday, George reported fog and clouds in the morning, but they soon
cleared out by 1:00 p.m. Winds were from the South/southwest, and the
temperature
was around 80 degrees. Birds were seen for about an hour, then "shut down."
George and Violet left at 3:30.

On Sunday, George reported "seeing birds as they walked up the mountain
around 10:00 a.m. The sky "kept getting higher and higher as the day wore on.
Wind
was light and mainly from the south-southeast, with temperatures rising to the
low 80s. A number of birds were missed. No way that I could get them all
during the rushâ.I would say that a 1000-1200 birds passed the tower."

Based on George's report, and the history of this site, we should have some
good hawk watching this week. Come on up and witness one of Nature's great
migrations. We need all the extra "hawk eyes" that we can get.

 Species:
                                                   9/17         9/18
Year-to-date
Northern Harrier:                             -            -
     1
Broad-winged Hawk:                     203       898                   2151
Coopers Hawk:                              1         1
 7
Am Bald Eagle:                             -             -
   3
Osprey:                                        3             4
     10
Am. Kestrel:                                  -               -
      1
Sharp-shinned Hawk                      1            4
5
Red-shouldered Hawk:                 _            1                        1

Other: Red-headed WP                 -                                     2

Man-hours:                                   12          10

I will be on duty all this coming week. Sue Carter and her students from Twin
Springs HS will be at the tower tomorrow. We always enjoy having this group.

The Mendota Lookout is located atop Clinch Mountain, on the
Russell-Washington County line, near Mendota, VA. If you want directions, let
me know.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA