[tn-bird] Re: Memphis sounds

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:29:30 -0600

There's only one problem - the Wood Frog is not found in West Tennessee.
It occurs across the eastern part of the state westward to about Dickson
County just west of Nashville so she would not have heard that one in
Shelby County.  I'm not sure what she could have heard, I can't think of
any other birds which sound like what she desribed and off the top of my
head I can't think of any frogs either but I need to get out my frog tape
to refresh my memory.

Charlie, are there any other frogs that we would have over here in West TN
that sound anything like a Wood Frog?

Thanks,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN

                    Charlie

                    <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxx       To:     tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    m>                       cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [tn-bird] Re: Memphis
sounds
                    tn-bird-bounce@fre

                    elists.org

                    02/22/2002 03:43

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    tn-bird

Hi Linda and others,

Wood Frogs sound a lot like ducks with a sore throat.  You'd
recognize them by the reddish-brown color and dark mask.  Males are
only about as big as an adult American Toad; females can get almost
as big as a Green Frog.  They generally only call this time of year.

Charlie
--- Linda Kuczwanski <kuczwanski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also wanted to mention that among the chorus frogs and bullfrogs
> at the
> woodpecker hole on Riverport Road, there was another sound my
> husband and
> I, novice birders that we are, couldn't identify.  We didn't think
> it was
> a frog; it sounded almost but not quite mallard-like, although
> there were
> no visible ducks in the area.  We thought it might be a bird but
> aren't
> familiar with the marsh birds that aren't very often seen.
>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
>     TN-Bird Net Owner: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx      (423) 764-3958

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)