[TN-Bird] Memphis Birding and KY LB Murrelet

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:44:38 EST

Oct. 29, 2002
Mud Island
Eagle Lake Refuge
Shelby Farms
Shelby Co. TN

Stops between appointments and late afternoon birding around Memphis produced
the following:

Two Redhead Ducks at Shelby Farms have been hanging around since Monday. They
represent my first for the season. At Mud Island I counted 25 Great Egrets, 4
Great Blue Herons, 1 Am. White Pelican, 4 Ruddy Ducks, 8 Ring-billed Gulls
and 13 DC Cormorants. Not a Killdeer could be found on the reemerging
sandbars. No movement could be detected against the gay skies except for Rock
Doves avoiding dinning invitations from a Peregrine Falcon in the area around
the Pyramid.

At Eagle Lake Refuge the normal complement of expected ducks were joined by 4
eclipse plumaged male Ring-necked Ducks and 84 Great Egrets.

We need a good strong northerner to push a good bird down from the North,
like the Long-billed Murrelet found by Dave Roamer in Kentucky on the Ohio
River yesterday afternoon................ At 10" long it can be easily
overlooked as it is only about 2/3 the size of a Green-winged Teal! This
Siberian vagrant has also been seen in Arkansas.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.