[TN-Bird] Memphis Birding

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:35:52 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 22, 2011
President's Island
Ensley and Mud Lake
Shelby Co. TN

After coming back from a little AM work in AR, I met Tommie  Rogers from
Chattanooga about noon to work on her TN Year List and try for a  possible TN
Life Bird. On President's Island a long and hot 2-1/2  hour search ensued. I
had a White-winged Dove fly over and perch for a minute at  a regular spot
but then fly off; the only trouble, Tommie was checking  another area but
she soon spotted one under the grain cars and as I  approached I found a
second bird nearby, so 3 White-winged Doves on the Day  List and a TN Lifer for
Tommie!!

The "Pits" were disappointing as the abundance of Western and  Semipalmated
seen over the weekend had dropped considerably, I could now  count them all
by just taking off one shoe! But still a  few pretty sharp cookies in
Juvenile plumage left to enjoy. A ton of Least  and Pectorals still present and
after much searching, the juvi BAIRD'S was found  and photographed. The
Black-bellied Whistlers were more scattered and the  Blue-winged Teal number
has
increased to 5 plus the Shoveler. The Blue Snow  Goose is still on TVA Lake.

It was getting late and we didn't have the proper shoes for  muck wading at
Mud Lake but I figured it was worth a try from the top of the  levee, and
peeking through holes in the tree tops, I located a distant ANHINGA;  then we
turned around just in time as 2 immature WOOD STORKS did a  slow flyby at
almost eye level coming out of Mississippi into Tennessee.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.