[TN-Bird] Memorial Day Weekend 2008

  • From: "Jason Baumgardner" <jlbaumga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 19:08:17 -0400

Hello Tennessee friends, this is an account from Memorial Day Weekend 2008.
I never posted it before but I thought I would now.  It was originally
written as a journal entry to myself, so I have just redacted some names of
other individuals before posting here.  I left in one name because she is a
birder whom some of you may know.  Hope you enjoy.   The account takes place
mainly in the Tellico Unit of South Cherokee National Forest and at Kyker
Bottoms.  I have been living in Atlanta, GA since summer 2007.

MAY 24-26 2008  (MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND).

Stayed at the Cabin in Tellico this weekend and made it a birding trip.
R.G., J.C., J.C.'s grandson A. (now 13), D.T., and R.G.'s neighbor D. were
there.  I have just bought the Canon image stabilized binoculars and am
trying them out for the first time.

FRIDAY
Friday night heard ACADIAN FLYCATCHER near cabin, also eastern phoebe
calling repeatedly.  Pheobe has nest with young on porch of cabin.  At night
the WHIPPORWILL we heard last year was singing again.

SATURDAY
Got a late start Saturday morning and started at Hemlock Knob and the old
house place.  Remains of meth lab still there but falling apart.  Some hog
sign there where there always is.  Many good birds here!  Several
blue-headed vireos were singing (and no red-eyes here)  Heard BLACKBURNIAN
WARBLERS doing classic song at the old house place, clearest I've heard them
so far.  Then located one for great looks.  ROSEBREASTED GROSSBEAKS heard
and seen along ridge.  Very musical song.  BROWN CREEPER also seen.  Found
one large salamander under log (like northern slimy or southern
Appalachian).  Many chestnut sided warblers singing.  Also heard and saw
BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLERS along the ridge.  Got a good look at a WOOD
PEWEE, possibly first time I've had one in binoculars.

Drove up high to Huckleberry Knob and Hooper Bald.  At Huckleberry knob
there was more than one CATBIRD singing.  I was hoping to find Canada
Warblers here, as one was found last year with Virginia Fairchild, but none
were seen or heard (I did have many Canada's last weekend at Brasstown Bald
during the GOS trip).  The highlight here was a LEAST FLYCATCHER which I
struggled to identify in the binoculars for a while, until it went
"chi-beck!"  There were many chestnut-sided warblers here, as there were
everywhere up high.  I did get a great look at a very tame female here.

At Hooper Bald I wondered whether I would see ruffed grouse, as this is
where I found a large flock last year and had taken Virginia back to find
them again (a life bird for her).  Did not see grouse, but did hear QUAIL.
Ran into a friendly birder who was from western Canada and was staying in
Robbinsville.  He asked me a little about our birds and mentioned they get
some of the same ones.  He had an old pair of Leica binoculars.  The
temperature was very comfortable up high and the air felt good.

Drove down mountain and on past Indian Boundary to the trail on the left
just past the lake which I think is where R.G. found the arrowhead, and
where I had heard prairie warblers last year.  Immediately heard PRAIRIE
WARBLER again and they sang continuously, but I was never able to see one.
There were up the slope to the right where the mountain laurel is thick.  I
did some pishing and several HOODED WARBLERS popped out of the laurel by the
trail.  It was time to head back to the cabin for dinner.  We had trout that
the guys had caught that morning.

SUNDAY
Again got kind of a late start since I had to stay and help R.G. clean up
the cabin.  Started at trail on right just before the turn off to Indian
Boundary.  It is a short trail that leads to a field.  Nothing special here.
Next stop was Indian Boundary Lake where I birded part way out the trail to
the left, until you get to a gate.  This takes you by a couple of fields and
there is an overgrown roadbed.  Think I will make this a regular route as it
seems to be a hotspot for birds.  In parking lot heard EASTERN KINGBIRDS and
finally saw one briefly.  The highlight here was the numerous OVENBIRDS
which gave me my first good looks.  The PERIODICAL CICADAS were emerging and
you would here them constantly.

Next I headed toward double camp to do the Jake Best loop.  I had done this
last year and enjoyed it so I decided to drive it slowly with the windows
down and "bird by car."  This worked very well.  The first real stop I made
was Far Gap, where I had lunch.  There were some young guys there mountain
biking, and an older couple pulled up in a camper to ask me about the roads
and hiking trails.  I hiked a ways down the Stiffknee trail.  There were
birds everywhere!  I did some pishing and black and white warblers went
crazy, along with OVENBIRDS.  It was interesting to note the chip notes of
each.  The ovenbirds have a fairly distinct, loud chip which I believe I can
learn to recognize.

I remembered hearing scarlet tanagers along the top of the mountain last
year, so I was hoping to find them.  Finally I heard a SCARLET TANAGER doing
the "chick-burr" call and got out.  I was able to get a great look at the
bird, which actually came to pishing.  It was doing the "chick-burr"
continuously, and it did sing just a little bit.  Also on top of the ridge I
saw a hen turkey with a bunch of baby turkeys.  I stopped the car thinking I
could get video of the mother and chicks, but the chicks all scattered on
both sides of the road.  I was able to get good video of the mother turkey
which was very upset.  Further down the mountain I located an ACADIAN
FLYCATCHER by a little creek on the right.  I had heard several singing
during the trip but this one allowed me my first good look.  Then there was
an immature RED-SHOULDERED HAWK on the left and I could hear another one
(it's mate?) calling in the distance.  My book mentioned they liked
woodlands and related to water, and this one was near a creek.  The bird had
streaks all the way up its chest.  It flew from tree to tree overhead before
getting scared deeper into the woods.  Once I got to Citico Creek Rd. I
drove on out of Tellico.

I decided to stop at Kyker Bottoms and end the day there before going to
Knoxville.  Kyker Bottoms was covered with birds and most were very vocal.
COMMON YELLOWTHROATS and YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS were everywhere.  I saw one
chat doing its aerial display.  QUAIL  where calling and eventually I
started flushing them, just one or two at a time.  Have they been planted
there?  I saw several small herons, some of which are GREEN HERONS but
possibly something else also.  Saw a couple great blue herons.  There was a
small shorebird which I have not yet identified, probably a sandpiper or
yellowlegs.  There were a few wood ducks and some baby ducks but I couldn't
tell what kind.  I heard and then saw a WHITE-EYED VIREO down by the creek.
It was doing its song repeatedly.  Everywhere at Kyker Bottoms there were
ticks getting on me so from now on I will try to avoid the long grass.

MONDAY
HOUSE WRENS calling in backyard very loudly and persistently.  Have made a
nest (dummy nest?) in birdhouse but may have actual nest in gourd in
neighbor's yard.

Jason Baumgardner
Atlanta, GA

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan