[TN-Bird] McKenzie migrants; 417/06

  • From: "Todd, Michael C." <michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:09:41 -0500

4/17/06
McKenzie area; southwest Henry Co.
I got out for a couple of hours this Monday morning to check some local
areas, and it was a treat to get into some good passerine migration. We just
returned Sunday from a few days on the coast at Dauphin Island. Things were
pretty slow down there for us, though goodies like a "trained"
Black-whiskered Vireo, dozens of Piping and several Snowy Plovers, and
Swallow-tailed Kites made up for the lack of action in the woods. Naturally,
there was a good movement just after we left. I will post a few photos
tomorrow from this trip.

Highlights of this mornings birding were 18 species of warblers, including
Chat. This compares to a total of 7 species of warblers we had over the
weekend at Dauphin. Eight of these warblers were First of Season birds
(FOS), warblers tallied were:

Northern Parula (everywhere)
Magnolia Warbler (1) FOS
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler (1)
Yellow-throated Warbler (10+)
Pine Warbler (10+)
Prairie Warbler (everywhere in good habitat, which I have a lot of thanks to
the amount of regenerative clear-cuts)
Palm Warbler (1) FOS
Black-and-white Warbler (3)
Prothonotary Warbler (4)
Worm-eating Warbler (1; a very territorial bird on a good-looking hillside,
they are scarce breeders in this area) FOS
Swainson's Warbler (1; my customary location off of Perry Schoolhouse Rd in
southwest Henry Co.) FOS
Ovenbird (1) FOS
Louisiana Waterthrush (3)
Kentucky Warbler (1) FOS
Common Yellowthroat (10+)
Hooded Warbler (10+, the most I've ever had along this route by far, some
were singing from pretty marginal habitat, even for migration) FOS
Yellow-breasted Chat (1; Chats are abundant in this area, this one bird was
the vanguard of their arrival) FOS

Other birds of note today:

Red-eyed, White-eyed, and Yellow-throated Vireos
Ruby-throated Hummingbird; FOS
Broad-winged Hawk (3, 1 carrying nesting material)
House Wrens; FOS
Summer Tanager (3)
Indigo Buntings; FOS
Orchard Oriole; FOS

I went through a couple of my good spots for Lark Sparrows, but the habitat
has changed in these (still in cotton stubble). They will be somewhere in
the area soon though.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (home)
Michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
www.pbase.com/mctodd

The information contained in this communication and its attachment(s) is
intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
in error, please notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and delete the
communication without retaining any copies. Thank you.

Translations available: http://www.owenscorning.com/emailfooter.html