[TN-Bird] McKenzie area (again) 5/2/03

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:17:12 -0500

McKenzie area (Carroll & Henry Co)
5/2/03

Four hours in the field around home produced 94 species this morning, but it
was pretty slow overall. The only FOS bird I found was a singing Veery. I had
18 species of warblers, plus Chat, but numbers weren't very high. Most notable
on my warbler list was lack of Swainson's, my old standby wasn't even singing
this morning. I only had 1 Nashville and maybe half a dozen Tennessee's, but
did have 3 Worm-eating's when I usually do good to get one a day. I hoped the
Willow Flycatchers might have snuck into their regular spot, but not yet.

Highlights of the day once again were sparrows, with Larks found two locations,
and the Henslow's still in the same spot. I 1st found a Lark Sparrow early this
morning in a regular spot over the past couple of years. This area is about a
mile from Don Manning's house, and could easily be one of the bird(s) that Don
has seen a couple of times near his house the last week or so. I have posted a
photo of this bird on my website, as it is a good example of the variability
among a species, this bird has a much-neater breast spot than the other bird I
have posted. For anyone interested, this photo is in the "Uncommon to rare
local birds (vol. 2) album at  :
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=330&groupID=116215&folderview=thumbs&ck
 . Later this morning, I went back through the original spot I had them last
week (where I went though several times yesterday with no luck) and had one
preening on a wire. These birds can be tough to run down, especially if they're
not singing!

I spent some time in the Henslow's area, and could only turn up the one singing
male, and what I'm assuming was his mate which flushed out of the same location
as yesterday. Hopefully this will turn out to be the nest site.

Hope everyone has a blast at the spring meeting, wish I could be there!

Good birding!!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.