[TN-Bird] McKenzie area 5/13/03

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 06:59:54 -0500

McKenzie area (Carroll & Henry Co.)
5/13/03

Don Manning and I got out for a few hours this morning to check on some local
areas. We started with the Henslow's, and a search for a few minutes, had great
looks at the pair, and also a Lincoln's, in the scope. The male wasn't singing
when we 1st arrived, but after a few minutes he piped up. Our Lark Sparrow of
the day was a new Carroll Co. location for me, at a site Don had seen one on a
wire yesterday. We briefly checked a couple of other Lark areas with no luck.
Grasshopper Sparrows were singing from just about all appropriate habitat.

It was a slow day for warblers, but my summer resident Henry Co. Swainson's was
singing loud and clear. We had gone to this area as I thought it looked pretty
good for Connecticut, with no luck. However, we did have a singing Mourning
that never did give us a look. Other than the Mourning, the only warbler
migrants we had were several Maggies and a Chestnut-sided. A calling Least
Flycatcher was also in the area.

We finished in the Obion River bottom where I've had Willow Flycatchers the
past couple of years. Two singing was the most I had heard/seen before, but
this morning there were three in view signing at the same time. While I was
trying to get some distant photos of the Willow, a Least Bittern began calling
nearby (never saw the bird though), and called the remainder of the time we
were there. Some other good local birds, like Red-headed Woodpecker and
Loggerhead Shrike made for a good morning.

Good birding!!!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.