[TN-Bird] Maxson Pits - Sunday

  • From: Georges McNeil <mcneilg20@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:44:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello TN birders.  Sorry for the delay in reporting.  I went to the Maxson Pits
Sunday to follow up on recent sighting of large shorebird activity.  I did not
see the Fulvous whistling duck and although good numbers, I think the numbers
are down from a week ago.  The American Golden Plovers were a treat to see and
there was one with a fair bit of gold on it's back.  Here's a listing from
eBird of the morning visit.  I did not have a scope and I know the counts of
the Least Sandpipers would have been hire with proper gear and patience.

Bird On!
Georges McNeil
Shelby County

Maxson Pits, Shelby, US-TN
Sep 8, 2013 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
16 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  11
Mallard  20
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk  4
Black-necked Stilt  4
American Golden-Plover  6
Killdeer  119
Solitary Sandpiper  5
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Stilt Sandpiper  3
Least Sandpiper  542    Most were congregated in one area, but did find smaller
groups at other pool areas.  There were probably more, but no scope and tired
of counting them.
Pectoral Sandpiper  8
Semipalmated Sandpiper  6
Mourning Dove  6