[TN-Bird] Maryville Peregrine

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 22:31:29 -0500

This afternoon I went in search of the downtown Maryville (Blount County)
Peregrine Falcon found by Tom Howe a week or so ago.  I looked for it where it
has been customarily seen on a 6-story red brick building at Church and
Broadway but didn't find it after a short search.  I then took a walk around
the Maryville Greenway thinking that I would return later to renew my search
for the Peregrine.  That proved unnecessary as the Peregrine was also at the
greenway and I eventually spotted it perched in a tree by the water just east
of the  wooden bridges.  In fact, I sat on a bench on the small island between
the two bridges and watched it for a long time, hoping to see some action.  The
peregrine did not move from its perch in the hour that I watched it.  It
preened and ignored the Mallards and Coots that twice swam right below it.  I
guess peregrines are not interested in ducks and there weren't any pigeons
around.  When I left at 4:30 it was still sitting there.  This part of the
greenway is a very short distance from the building where it has been seen
several times.
Waterfowl of interest:
REDHEAD, maleNORTHERN SHOVELER, maleand what I am pretty certain was a female
NORTHERN PINTAIL
Carole Gobert, Knoxville