[TN-Bird] Mary Zimmerman's essay on bird guides

  • From: EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:15:11 EDT

TN-BIRDers:

I think many of us can identify with Mary Zimmerman's  ruminations on her
bird guides, which herewith I send to the list with her  permission.

Ed Gleaves
Nashville, TN

I think my use of field guides has evolved as  I have evolved as a birder.
But of course, field guides were evolving during  that time as well. My first
field guide was, of course, Peterson's. But it was  an edition before off-set
printing made it easy and economical to have colored  illustrations on every
page. Illustrations were grouped together at various  points in the book and
most
were black and white.  When I went to college I  found Golden Guides and that
became my main guide due to the color  illustrations. This was at a time when
I couldn't really call myself a birder. I  didn't know anyone else who was
even remotely interested in birds and so I  didn't really know where or, more
importantly, when to go look for birds.  I merely always had my binoculars and
field guide with me when I went for a walk  in the woods.

At one point I went on a real "birding"  outing with a friend of a friend. It
really opened my eyes to a whole new  world. About that time I moved to
Chattanooga and started taking classes  with Daniel Jacobson and Joe Stone. I
bought a new edition of Peterson and used  both it and the Golden Guide, though
Peterson gradually won out. When I  moved to Nashville and began birding with
Michael, I resisted buying National  Geographic because I felt I didn't need
another guide. However, as my birding  skills increased by birding with Michael
and so many other "real" birders, I  found that I was constantly seeking out
someone with a National Geo after I had  consulted my two guides. After I
finally
bought one for myself, it became my  primary guide. I continued to carry my
other two "old faithfuls" and  consulted all three for a while. One big
improvement in National Geo over  Peterson, and the reason I had continued to
carry
the Golden Guide, was the  placement of the range maps on the page next to the
descriptions. Since National  Geo also included the maps with the description,
the Golden Guide was the first  of the two "old faithfuls" to be left at
home. I continued to carry  Peterson with me for a long time, but eventually
used
only the National Geo. The  first National Geo I bought was the 2nd Edition. I
purchased the 3rd, but didn't  like it as much and left it at home on field
trips.

One of the reasons I had resisted the  National Geo was the illustrations. I
don't know if it was just that I had  become so accustomed to Peterson's or
what, but National Geo's just didn't look  right. I still feel that Peterson's
illustrations are more life-like, but the  essential details are in National
Geo.  This fact was particularly brought  home to me in a class Michael taught
using skins. In trying to sort out skins of  fall warblers, the National Geo
won out over Peterson. Had Sibley never come out  I would probably still be
using the National Geo. However, I  almost exclusively use Sibley now. The
large
format one, not the smaller  regionals. I purchased the first edition, but the
colors were terrible. That  copy was badly damaged when the airlines left it
my luggage in the rain and they  replaced it. By that time the colors  had been
corrected. I now keep the  water damaged book in the car to consult on field
trips.

When I travel, I take only Sibley. I have  both the smaller regional editions
but don't like them as well, and rarely use  them. Perhaps it's just my age
and eyesight! What I particularly like about  Sibley is the arrangement. I like
how he has small illustrations of the entire  group (i.e. owls, hawks,
flycatchers) at the beginning of each section. I felt  all along he should have
included page numbers there and was glad to see that he  had with the regional
editions. I really like that he devotes a page or a half  page to each species.
This allows for many more views, thus more detail, of each  species.  I also
like that, when he does place two species on a page, he  uses columns, so that
similar poses of the two species are side-by-side, making  comparison easy.
When the book is opened flat, you have several similar species  arranged
side-by-side, with similar poses also side-by-side. As in National Geo,  the
drawings
aren't as natural looking as Peterson, but again, the details are  what count.
At least at the stage of birding I'm at now, when I'm paying  more attention
to minute details than I use to do.

As to Kaufman's and All the Birds,  they came after my use of field guides
had changed. I don't use field guides as  much or in the same way as I used to
use them. I rarely carry one now when  birding locally. If there is some detail
I need to look at I have Sibley in the  car, or someone usually has a guide
with them. Even traveling, I do most of my  studying at home, or in the motel
and don't usually feel the need to consult a  guide in the field. Of course
I've done little traveling and all in the states,  where even birds I've never
seen are familiar because I've seen them in field  guides for years. This is
another reason why I like national guides over "East"  or "West" guides, you
become acquainted with birds from outside your range and  thus are more likely
be able to ID an accidental.

However, I have become a "collector" of field  guides and have both Kaufman's
and All the Birds. I am impressed by  both. If I were a beginning birder, and
therefore constantly consulting guides,  I suspect that I would use either,
or both, of them more than  Sibley. Primarily do to the size, but also because
they seem a little less  intimidating to a beginner. I think too much detail
can be overwhelming to  someone just learning.  I have always worked on the
premise that you  should consult as many books as possible. I think this is
particularly  true in the beginning. Each guide has its good points and bad
points.
Some  would say guides such as Kaufman's and All the Birds are not any good,
that even beginners should use guides with enough details to be able to
separate  difficult species. I disagree. First you have to get the person
"hooked".
Once  the person has birding in his blood, he'll seek out the more detailed
guides on  his own. I don't think a beginning birder is really going to be able
 to sort out a Least from a Western Sandpiper, or a Willow  from an Alder
Flycatcher. Don't scare him from birding by insisting  that he should be able
ID them. Either Kaufman or All the Birds  will get him where he needs to be.
When it gets to the point that he is not  satisfied with the "peep" or "empid"
ID, he'll turn to National Geo or  Sibley.

As to other, invaluable, aids - first and  foremost - fellow birders. When
Phillip and I went to Arizona, we spent one day  with a woman that Frank Fekel
knew from NJ. She had moved to AZ about 2 yrs  before and had been an avid
birder before moving. We found the tips she gave us  on how she learned to
separate different species of one genus, such as myiarchus  or empidonax
flycatchers,
were more helpful than any of the field guides. She  also gave valuable tips
on what types of habitat to look for specific species.  So my final advice,
consult every field guide you can get your hands on, but  don't forget your
fellow birders.

Hope I didn't get too long-winded -  Mary