[TN-Bird] Re: Marsh Wren's nest?

  • From: Charles Nicholson <cpnicholson53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lisa Stinnett <lisastinnett@xxxxxxxxx>, TN-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:10:00 -0400

It appears to be the nest of a mouse.  The golden mouse commonly remodels
old bird nests for its own use.  The golden mouse is fairly common in
wetlands across much of Tennessee.  Hard to tell who built the original
bird nest here, especially without a size reference.  Perhaps a yellow
warbler, American goldfinch, or, if fairly large, a red-winged blackbird.

Chuck Nicholson
Norris, TN

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Lisa Stinnett <lisastinnett@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Spotted a nest at Whites Mill WR, in Blount County, today that looks very
> similar to a Marsh Wren's nest, but according to my field guides they only
> migrate through this area. Any idea to whom or what it belongs?
> Lisa Stinnett,
>  Loudon County
>
> www.flickr.com/photos/birdwatcher804

image/jpg