[TN-Bird] March 23-25, 2004

  • From: "David Brinkman" <brinkbird65@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:21:23 -0400

Dear Tennessee birders,
I visited Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge with my wife and daughter March 21-25.
The first three nights we stayed at Cupid's Dart which sits up in the mountains
off the connecting road between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Our fourth night
was spent at the Mountain Shadow's Resort closer to Gatlinburg. The names of
these cabins are included in this report. I will use the word "connector" to
indicate the road mentioned above. PF = Pigeon Forge, G = Gatlinburg, B = both
Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, CD = Cupid's Dart, MS = Mountain Shadows. I
apologize for the belatedness of this report.

Tuesday, March 23

Great Blue Heron - connector
Turkey Vulture - PF, Newfound Gap
Ring-billed Gull - PF
Rock Dove - PF
Mourning Dove - B
Red-bellied Woodpecker - CD
Downy Woodpecker - CD
Eastern Phoebe - CD
Blue Jay - Newfound Gap
American Crow - CD, B, Newfound Gap
Carolina Chickadee - CD
Tufted Titmouse - CD
White-br. Nuthatch - CD
Carolina Wren - CD
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - CD (singing)
American Robin - CD, PF
Northern Mockingbird - PF
European Starling - B
Yellow-thr. Warbler - CD (distant song down the mountain)
Song Sparrow - CD
Dark-eyed Junco - CD
Common Grackle - CD, PF
House Finch - CD
Pine Siskin - CD (more than 20 siskins feeding on hemlock just off our balcony
with more than 30 goldfinches).
American Goldfinch - CD
House Sparrow - B

Wednesday, March 24

Turkey Vulture - PF
Mallard - PF
probable Northern Shoveler landing behind a building - PF (unconfirmed)
Rock Dove - PF
Mourning Dove - CD, PF
Belted Kingfisher - (Pigeon Forge Public Library)
Blue-headed Vireo - CD (heard and seen in front of another cabin)
American Crow - CD, PF
Carolina Chickadee - CD
Tufted Titmouse - CD
White-br. Nuthatch - CD
Carolina Wren - CD
Eastern Bluebird - PF (Apple Barn)
Northern Mockingbird - PF
Yellow-rumped Warbler - PF (Apple Barn)
Louisiana Waterthrush - CD (heard only from balcony)
Song Sparrow - CD, PF
Northern Cardinal - CD, PF
House Finch - CD
American Goldfinch - CD
House Sparrow - PF

Thursday, March 25

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - MS
Downy Woodpecker - MS
Eastern Phoebe - MS (pair building nest under balcony)
American Crow - MS, G
Brown Creeper - MS
Carolina Wren - MS
American Robin - MS
Song Sparrow - MS
White-thr. Sparrow - MS

Also, on way home just across the state line into KY while driving I-75 N, a
single Wild Turkey was foraging on the side of the highway.

David A. Brinkman
Cincinnati, OH