[tn-bird] Magnolia/Tennessee Warblers/ SMokies

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:12:14 -0400

Smoky Mountains, TN / NC  border.

The cool front last night was a welcome relief and proved to be a good
front for Warblers. Working in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area today, I was
able to leave very early and drive up to Newfound Gap/Clingman's Dome
area for a dose of high elevation birds. From 8:00 - 10:00 am, I
encountered several "flurries" of migrants at pull offs in sunny brushy
areas from the gap parking lot to the top of C Dome.
There weren't alot of different species, but there were a lot of birds to
look through!  (Most common were Tennessee /Chestnut-Sided and Magnolia.)
 Temps were very cool and refreshing at the higher elevation and I hiked
up to Clingmans Dome observation tower and along a section of the
Appalachian Tr.
Birds were all around me here and were moving along the ridge, so numbers
are conservatively estimated. Work sure goes better after a morning like
this!

Tennessee  Warbler        40-50 easily   - 5 diff. stops and along trail
ridge
Magnolia  Warbler          17+   same as above /  all stops  combined
 Black-Throated Blue Warbler    14
Black-Throated Green         9
BLACKBURNIAN            4 together on Appalachian Trail
Chestnut-sided                  28+
Hooded                               2
Blue-Headed Vireo               5   singing early
Scarlet Tanager                      4
Golden-Crowned Kinglet        22
Junco     all over
Large flocks of Cedar Waxwings on trail to Observation tower on Clingmans
dome.. They were eating BEES!  Very interesting. (Yellow jackets feeding
on the wildflowers, and another type larger bee I  can't id)  and
blackberries for desert. I watched one eat SEVEN huge plump berries and 4
bees.within a matter of minutes !!.. How much can that little bird hold!

Winter Wren                  1
Chimney Swifts           14 around the tower
Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds         6-10  hard to count buzzing jewelweed
in several locations
2 Downy  WP
Eastern Pewee       6
2 EMPIDONAX-  unable to ID - short time viewing and  quiet
Only 2 Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Several Chickadees, Titmouse and Goldfinch

1 unidentified Warbler that I thought was a Bay-Breasted but it seems
early.
Did not see him as well as I wanted to. Definite wing-bars and drab
greenish overall.
NO RAVEN OR CROSSBILLS seen OR heard.

Great morning and enough to inspire me that its TIME TO BIRD AGAIN!

Nell Moore
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx
Caryville, TN
CampbellCounty, TN