[TN-Bird] Magicicada Central

  • From: William Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:40:39 -0700 (PDT)

Only a bit off-topic...
Magicicada Central is a website where you can (among other things) submit your
reports of the ongoing emergence of the periodical cicadas and look at maps of
other recent reports.  As we birders spend a lot of time in the field we could
help out quite a bit in mapping and documenting this 13-year event.  Especially
with the Breeding Bird Survey season upon us (today is opening day!), we will
have alert eyes and ears and clipboards at the ready all over the region in the
next few weeks.

The website also has info on differentiating the 4 species of Magicicada that
comprise the current brood,  The middle Tennessee cicadas appear to be largely
Magicidada tredecassini (all black abdomen), and I expect most of you are quite
familiar with their diagnostic call by now!  Other species could occur, and it
is interesting to check out the differences.

Find it by either googling "magicicada central" or by clicking the link below
(probably will need to paste it back together after the wrap-arounds):

http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/magicicada_central/magicicada_central.php

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan