[TN-Bird] "Magic" exciting rock pigeon!!!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:00:17 EDT

Yep, that's right.  I got excited over seeing a rock pigeon!

Just before a big clap of thunder scared the wits out of everything here in
the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville (Davidson County) a few blocks
east of the Cumberland River, a flock of rock pigeons landed to feed on the
deck.
 One of them was a PURE WHITE bird with pinkish beak, pinkish orangy legs and
red eyes!  That would be an albino, wouldn't it?  The birds barely touched
the deck, almost petrel-like, when the thunder clapped sending them off in a
flurry of feathers and wings aflutter.  They were coming down and touched just
long enough for me to get a truly great look at this bird at a distance of
about
ten feet when they were stricken by the urge to leave.  I keep hoping for a
return, but they have not been back after the rain.  I WANT a picture of THAT
bird!  It's a beauty.

Even a rock pigeon can be a thrill.....when it's a probable ALBINO!!!  Or,
could it have been an escaped white dove or pigeon just running with a "pack"
of
rock pigeons?  It WAS the same size and proportions as the "rockies."

Anyone have any other conclusions?  I have never seen a true albino bird
before in my nearly 60 years of avid birding, but this bird seems to fit all
the
criteria.  Help!

I've also had some good hummer photos today, but all "immys" and "feemies."

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville.