[TN-Bird] MacGillivray's & etc.

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:51:47 -0600

10/26/03
Radnor Lake, Nashville
Of course the big news of the weekend was happening at Radnor Lake! I
got the call Saturday morning as I had just pulled up to Paris Landing
in Henry Co. to look over the gulls (the obvious adult Lesser
Black-backed on the island was as far as I got), and immediately was off
to Nashville. A cold wait in a slow rain for about 45 minutes was
rewarded by a brief but good look at the Mac's by 4 of us (1st spotted
by Susan Holladay (sp.)), and then later again for the crowd from all
over the state that quickly assembled. As has been eloquently described,
few times are as good as those spent among friends, waiting for that
special bird to show. And, just to say it once again, thanks Jan for
looking beyond the expected, and putting so many of us on a very special
bird.

10/27/03
Radnor Lake, Nashville

Paris Landing, Britton Ford, Port Rd. Overlook
Henry Co.

This morning found Don Manning and myself on the way to Nashville bright
and early. Don wanted the bird, and I wanted a photo of the bird, but
really just an excuse to go spend a little more time with this western
jewel. Phillip Casteel and a few others were there with the bird when we
arrived, but it took a little while to finally get some great looks at
the bird, and when we left a couple of hours later, at least a dozen
birders, including one from Indiana, were enjoying the bird. I wasn't
surprised when I wasn't able to get a photo of this furtive little
character, but great looks at this bird were easily worth a couple of
trips to Nashville.

On the way home we stopped at a few of our regular haunts, looking to
see what the coming season had brought. Paris Landing had the almost
expected adult Lesser Black-backed Gull among the many Herring and
Ring-billed on the island. A few American White Pelicans were seen in
the distance, over towards Pace Point. Common Loons are now scattered
thinly across the Lake, and numbers should start building quickly.
Horned Grebes are in now, with a couple of dozen or so seen. Diving
ducks are also slowly increasing, with Buffleheads in the mix now, along
with good numbers of Ruddy Ducks and a few Lesser Scaup. A quick look at
the flats at Eagle Creek produced our 1st Snow Geese of the season, 5 (a
nice assortment of both adult and immature Snow and Blue). Another
season 1st, and one I've been looking for, was a single Bonaparte's Gull
flying in the distance off of the point at Britton Ford.

Shorebirds were represented only by Killdeer, and a couple of Least and
15 Dunlin at Britton Ford. Chipping Sparrows and Juncos were flushing up
in nice concentrations, but sparrows were only represented by the usual
suspects, and Lincoln's at Britton Ford. Besides the abundant Myrtle's,
the only other warblers were a couple of Palms at Britton Ford.

The change of seasons is rapidly turning the corner!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx