[TN-Bird] MacGillivray's Warbler,Olive-sided FC in Costa Rica

  • From: "Dev Joslin" <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:45:40 -0600

As neotropical migration winds down in North America, it is moving through
Costa Rica in fits and starts.

A MACGILLIVRAY?S WARBLER was the highlight earlier this month (Oct 1).  This
bird was sighted in the exact spot in a shrubby old field where I saw one
two years ago on Oct. 25.  I am guessing that it has a consistent
migrational path year after year (since I don?t believe this is its
wintering territory?never seen it or any other here in winter).

An OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was sighted last weekend (Oct. 7), with very good
looks.  Supposedly they are not uncommon here in migration and winter,
though it was the first I have documented in our neck of the woods (4500
feet elev., Pacific Slope, CR).

BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS apparently use this elevation on the Pacific Slope as
a major migration route during Sept.-Oct.  I have seen a number of small
flocks of 4-8 over the last few weeks.  It is the most common migrant at
this time of year, with sightings every day of at least several.  Is it
possible to take a ?HO-HUM? attitude towards Blackburnians?

My FOS BLUE-WINGED WARBLER arrived today (Oct. 10).  The first GOLDEN-WINGED
WARBLER was sighted 3 days before.  Interestingly, both species like to
search rolled-up dead leaves (esp. Cecropia) for insects, and are quite good
at it.

RUBY-THROATED HB?s arrived here several weeks ago and an immature male is a
regular at our flowers.

OTHER neotrops and their FOS dates have been:
Spotted Sandpiper??????31 July
Wood-pewee spp.  .?????.15 August
Black and White Warbler???.26 August  (now very common)
Orchard Oriole??????......7 Sept.
{I was out of the country 9 Sept.-27 Sept.}
Blackburnian Warbler????.. 29 Sept.
Black-throated Green Warbler?. 29 Sept.
Red-eyed Vireo??????? 29 Sept. (large numbers)
Wilson?s Warbler??????. 29 Sept.  (many)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird?... 29 Sept.
Swainson?s Thrush?????... 4 Oct.
Summer Tanager??????..  4 Oct.
Chestnut-sided Warbler???? 7 Oct.
Baltimore Oriole???????7 Oct.

Still waiting for first Yellow-throated Vireos and Tennessee Warblers to
arrive.

Dev Joslin
Monteverde, Costa Rica

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES