[TN-Bird] Mac Point, Parksville Lake, Polk Co-10Dec13

  • From: David Chaffin <davchaffin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:22:16 -0500 (EST)

TN birders,

Nasty weather brought some unusual birds for Polk Co in, and I was alerted to
their presence yesterday by a call from Rick Houck.  Since I could not get
there yesterday with daylight, was there first thing this am.  Present were:

bald eagle(ad)
Canada goose-7
*Amer black duck
mallard-10
*canvasback-male
*redhead-male
*hooded merg-2m,f
*ruddy duck-12
pied-billed grebe-15
hairy woodpecker-hrd

In addition to the above, Rick had a small flock of red-breasted mergansers and
lesser scaup, the former at Mac Pt and the latter at the pulloff near the dam
and looking across the lake into the creek(I think it is called Rogers Creek).
Birds indicated by a * are new county birds for me, and the ruddies were new
for Rick, who has about 190 for the county.  Ruddies were not seen yesterday.
All birds were seen from the first pulloff on the lake side east of Mac Beach
and before the left turn to Greasy Creek.

David Chaffin
Cleveland TN
Bradley Co