[TN-Bird] MSW - Faux Eastern Kingbird, Wood duck fight

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:18:35 -0700 (PDT)

Murfree Spring Wetland
3-18-12
Rutherford County

The only species sighting of note was a Northern Rough-winged Swallow that
zipped overhead like he was trying to reach Canada by nightfall. But a couple
of interesting behavioral observations:

At the back end of the wetland, there was a Brown Thrasher in full concert
mode. What I found especially interesting was that he worked the
"p-p-p-pitzEEE" song of an Eastern Kingbird into his performance several times.
As far as I can remember, I've never heard that even from a mockingbird.

There was also a vicious Wood Duck fight. Two males were locked in beak-to-beak
combat for a good 60 seconds or so. After a ferocious struggle, Duck #1 managed
to roll Duck #2 belly-up and then proceeded to hold him under the water for 3
or 4 seconds. I thought I was going to witness a drowning, but Duck #2 managed
to break free and then flew away. I think he realized at that point that he had
lost the day.

Daniel