[TN-Bird] Low Flying Great Blue Heron

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:50:36 -0400

Buladean, NC
Herndon Birding Chapter
Elizabethton, TN

With a strand of large trees and Hazelnut bushes running along the driveway
and blocking my view, I was startled yesterday as I walked down to get my
mail when a Great Blue Heron suddenly appeared so close and  flying not much
higher than my head.  It was around 4:30 pm and one could not miss the sweep
of the those huge flapping wings, the bluish-gray body, small round dark
eye, yellow bill with black legs straight out behind.

As the bird sailed on by it almost for a moment seemed to consider landing
in a tall oak tree, but at the last minute pulled up with an unexpected
expertness lifted over that tree and continued on to get lost in other
strands of trees in the distance.  But a definite yard bird!!  And an
awesome sight. Indeed it was great!

Tess Cumbie