[TN-Bird] Re: Loving some birds to death by banding

  • From: Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:27:00 -0600

Re: banding mortality, while I don't have the exact numbers handy, I
estimate that Portia Macmillan and I have banded between 1500 and 2000
hummingbirds.  Out of that number, we have had only one fatality during
the banding process.

I've also worked many hours at several mist net stations, and have
spent many hours in the field with David Vogt banding raptors.  I can't
quote you exact statistics, but I can darn sure tell you that the
mortality rate wasn't anywhere near 10%.  My guess is it was closer
to .1%.

I complete agree with Charlie that any bander with anywhere close to a
10% mortality rate (and I seriously doubt that there are any) should be
thoroughly investigated.

Banding is not a recreational activity, it is a research project.  I
band winter hummingbirds out of a desire to learn more about their
winter survivorship, their winter movement patterns, and their origins,
especially in light of the mindboggling increase in documented
sightings within the past ten years (see the most recent issue of The
Migrant for a paper I wrote on this topic).  Relative to most other
banding efforts, I believe the recovery rate on winter hummers is much
higher, and thus, the more birds we band, the more data we accumulate.

Is it completely risk-free for the birds?  Of course not, but there is
no interaction between man and nature that is completely risk free, and
that includes birding and bird feeding.  However, with banding, given
the (in my experience) extremely small level of risk compared with the
value of the data we are collecting, I believe this small risk to be an
acceptable one, and, more importantly, one that will do much much more
good than harm over the long haul.

There are still many questions to be answered about birds, but you
cannot answer questions if you do not ask them, and that is what we as
banders strive to do.

That's my $0.02 worth on the matter.

Chris Sloan
chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx