[TN-Bird] Loving some birds to death by banding

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:18:26 -0500

Since only a small sample of birds are captured and banded, I wouldn't expect
more than a small sample of banded birds to be recaptured ("recovered").
Thornton would have us believe that as many as 93% of banded birds are killed
as a result of banding - that's bad logic.  The 7% recovery rate seems higher
than I would expect.  Maybe someone else has calculated a hypothetical recovery
rate based on empirical data and sound mathematics.  Also, I would think that
there are figures on the number of birds killed or injured during the banding
process.  That would offer a fairer indication than a single anecdote, namely,
the calliope hummingbird.
It seems to me that Thornton is trying to arrange the facts to fit his
preconceived conclusion.

Michael Sylva
Del Rio TN