[TN-Bird] Louisville Pt. Park eagle show

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:43:44 -0400

A late morning/early afternoon walk at Louisville Point Park in Blount County
today with lackluster results until I was walking back to my car around 12:30
and spotted a tightly packed raft of American Coots being strafed by a Bald
Eagle.  A few of the coots began to run preparatory to take-off but changed
their minds.  I should say a formerly tightly packed raft because the eagle
caused a bit of a panic.  I was pretty far away still when the eagle left.  As
I continued walking toward the coots the eagle returned and made several low
passes over the coots but again flew off with no coot in tow.  A couple minutes
later the eagle returned for another half-hearted try before leaving and not
returning while I was there.  The eagle was an immature but fairly close to
acquiring its adult plumage.  Its head was mostly white but its tail was still
dark.  There were about 89 coots in the raft; I photographed them and counted
white bills on an enlarged image when I got home.  Aside from dozens of tree
swallows and an osprey, not much else of interest.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville