[TN-Bird] Loudon County Brown Pelican

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 19:15:16 -0400

It seems that Dean Edwards was right when he said he thought the Brown Pelican
would stick around for a while.  I received a message dated June 5 from Marge
Krampe who lives on Watts Bar Lake.  I was out of town for a week and have been
tardy in going through my messages and didn't come across this one until
yesterday evening.  Marge is not on TN-bird and has asked that I post the
sighting for her:

"I am a birder who lives on Watts Bar Lake. I always read the ABA list for
TN, but I have no idea how to post a sighting....  I just spotted
the Brown Pelican on Watts Bar. My house looks out over the lake with Thiefneck
Island being across the lake from me. I am so excited to have spotted it. I saw
on the blog that it had been on Ft. Loudon, so I figure it’s the same bird. He
was hanging out, flew around a little, dove a few times and then moved on
southward down the lake. I got a few pictures."

She has not seen the pelican since June 5 but it may still be in the area.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville