[tn-bird] Loon at Adair Park Knoxville

  • From: Imboden@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:46:44 EDT

After birding Sharp's Ridge in Knoxville on Thursday morning, April 18, some
of the group went to Adair Park to see if the common loon reported there was
still present.  The loon was swimming around in the pond and up the creek
which feeds the pond.
    According the Fred Alsop's book, Birds of North America, the common loon
requires at least 20 yards to take flight.  Our debate was whether the loon
could take off from this location or should the loon be moved to a larger
body of water.  My estimate is that the longest distance on this pond is
probably 50 feet.
    Can anyone add to this information about the possibility of this loon
being able to take flight from this location?

Barbara Finney
Knoxville, TN