[TN-Bird] Long-tailed Duck, etc; KY Lake 11/10/06

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:44:03 -0600

11/10/06
KY Lake (Henry Co.)
Paris Landing to Britton Ford areas

I had about half a day to bird today, so I hit the western part of my normal
KY Lake circuit. Nothing extremely odd, highlights as follows:

Long-tailed Duck- I had a flyby by a female/young bird while scanning from
Eagle Creek campground. I picked the bird up as it coming out from the area
at the mouth of the creek, and watched it fly until I lost it over the main
part of the Lake. Seems like it is going to be a good flight-year for Sea
Ducks in TN, with all the Scoters reported multiple times already, and now
Long-tailed Duck as well.

Lesser Black-backed Gull- Finally had this species again. I still haven't
seen an adult in the area this year, though one has been seen. Today I had a
juvenile out from Gray's Landing (above the Paris Landing bridge), working
with a Herring and Ring-billed to make a lone loons life miserable in the
area. Whenever the loon surfaced it normally got jumped on. Shortly later I
had this, or another 1st-year bird, on the island at Paris Landing.

Red-breasted Nuthatch- calling bird in the pines at Bull Durham Rd
(overlooking the mouth of Eagle Creek).

Orange-crowned Warbler- hanging out with Bluebirds at Britton Ford. When it
1st came up with the Bluebirds, it took me a second to figure out what the
little green and yellow job was. I think this was my 1st of the fall.

Otherwise, most of the usual suspects. Scaup are finally in big numbers at
Paris Landing, but only a handful of Greaters that I could pick out. No sign
of the Surf Scoter from last week. Redheads are still making a good showing
in several locations. Loons were still present in good numbers, though maybe
down a tad from Monday. I had about 150 out from Port Rd, and about 50 more
from Trailer Rd. Maybe some have moved back to the TN River side. Didn't see
the Pacific today. Britton Ford was literally dead today, nothing compared
to the last time I was there. Only shorebirds were about 8 Greater
Yellowlegs at Eagle Creek, 2 at Britton Ford, 8 or so Dunlin at Eagle Creek,
and a handful of Least at Britton Ford.

Hopefully the Pace Point side will be as good tomorrow for the NTOS bunch as
it has the last couple of trips.

If anyone's interested in some distant, ID-type shots of the juvenile Lesser
Black-backed, I've placed 3 in my gallery for this species. I had been
wanting a decent spread-wing shot showing the upperwing of this age, finally
got one today. Unfortunately the tail and rump are hidden in the shot. The
shots are at: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/lesser_blackbacked_gull  . The
last 3 images in the gallery are from today.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
www.pbase.com/mctodd