[TN-Bird] Long-tailed Duck at Lake Breckenridge, southern Cumberland Co. today

  • From: "Ed Legrand" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:21:03 -0600

There was a female Long-tailed Duck at Lake Breckenridge in southern
Cumberland Co. this morning (Sunday, Feb. 17), along with 16 Redheads, 20
Ring-necked Ducks, and 8 Hooded Mergansers. I viewed it (and took
documentable photos) from the end of Cherry St. which is near the dam. There
is room along the road to avoid trespassing on the heavily-signed Property
Owners' Association parking area. I was expecting the bird to show up with
other roosting ducks at Lake Tansi (4 miles north) this evening, but I
couldn't find it. Typing "Lake Breckenridge, TN" into Google Maps brings the
location right up.

Sandhill Cranes were active today in southern Cumberland Co., with 5 flocks
totaling 235 birds heading NW in the morning, and one flock of 60 heading
south in late afternoon.

Ed LeGrand

Crossville, Cumberland Co., TN