[TN-Bird] Long-tailed Duck & Probable Ross's Goose at Musick's Campground

  • From: "Dwayne Martin" <redxbill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:21:41 -0500

I was at Musick's Campground for time today (11-16-03) scouting for an
upcoming field trip for the Carolina Bird Club.  One of the first birds I
saw was a female Long-tailed Duck with a couple of Mallards.  There were
also 9 female Red-breasted Mergansers, one female Lesser Scaup, a few Horned
Grebes and I only found one Eared Grebe.  I then went down to the Weir Dam
below Holston Dam.  There I found a Mute Swan chasing the Buffleheads
around.  There were also American Wigeon, Mallards, American Black Duck, and
Ring-necked Duck.  I then went back to Musick's and the Long-tailed Duck had
joined some Ring-necked Ducks.  They all took flight and headed out of the
cove, so I searched the cove some more and found five Common Loons.  While I
was looking at the loons the Long-tailed Duck must have snuck back in.  I
refound her with some Coots.  While I was looking at the duck, a group of
about 50 Canada Geese came flying in to the Virginia side of the cove.  I
was able to pick out two different geese in the group with my binocs.  I got
the scope on them.  One was a juvenile "Blue" Snow Goose and the other
appeared to be a Ross's Goose.  It was noticeably smaller the Blue Goose.
They were to far away to get a good look at the bill.  It then started to
rain hard so I left.  They were all still there when I left.  Sorry I didn't
call you Wallace, but I didn't have your number.

Dwayne