[TN-Bird] Long Island WMA (TN River, Roane Co.) eagles, ospreys, green herons, warblers, etc.

  • From: "Raincrow" <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:25:29 -0700

Yesterday was a very pleasant day of summer birding, paddling in and around the
islets comprising Long Island WMA and nearby coves along the river's south
shore, trying to avoid being zorched by lightning, and attempting to gain
mastery over my first MP3 player. (Not being accomplished yet at this
"playlist" thing, I found myself listening to an odd shuffle of Wang Chung, old
Moody Blues, and barefisted, pro-Labor Billy Bragg...)
A pontoon boat full of birders pointed out to me a Bald eagle nest, w/ 2 adults
and 1 immature, near the top of a steep ridge ~200 feet above the river.
Without binox, I could make out the nest and the immature, but only 1 of the
adults.

Not long after that, as the wind rose on a building thundersquall, EIGHT
ospreys lined up to surf the lift generated by the shoreline trees on the
upstream-most island. Never have I seen so many ospreys at once, and soaring in
place like a row of feathery kites. HOW GLORIOUS!!

And I'm probably the last one among us to know that TVA placed lots of tree
swallow boxes at this WMA, presumably as a control for the sampling sites on
the Emory and in Kingston.

Mallard  6+
Double-crested cormorant  10+ adults, 1 imm.
Great blue heron  14+
Great egret  1
Green heron  3
Black vulture  1+
Turkey vulture  3+
Osprey  12+
Bald eagle  2 adults (of which I saw only 1), 1 imm.
Yellow-billed cuckoo  1
Rubythroat hum  1
Belted kingfisher  1
woodpecker sp. (Flicker, I think)
E. phoebe  1
Blue-headed vireo  1
Red-eyed vireo  1
Am. crow  10+
Purple martin  8+
Tree swallow  3+
N. rough-winged swallow  6+
Carolina wren  2
Wood thrush  1
N. mockingbird  1
Yellow warbler  2
Prothonotary warbler  2
Kentucky warbler  1
Common yellowthroat  1
Yellow-breasted chat  1
N. cardinal  3+
Indigo bunting  1
Red-winged blackbird  2+
***
Non-bird animal tale: My patio table has 4 chairs with luxuriously deep
cushions on which my cats love to lounge. Many evenings when I come home, at
least 1 or more cats are sprawled there, and might perhaps lift a lazy eyelid
to acknowledge my arrival. As I came up the driveway in the wee hours of Friday
morning, I saw a cat of entirely the wrong color lying on one of the chairs. It
looked up with a start, then quickly stood up and hopped off the cushion,
showing just a quick flash of hind legs and tummy before disappearing into the
dark. It took me a second to process what I'd seen -- IT WAS THE RESIDENT
POSSUM!

Good summer birding to everyone,

Liz Singley
Kingston, TN (Roane Co.)