[TN-Bird] Lone Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Bells Bend

  • From: "fekel" <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 08:19:16 -0500

Bells Bend
Old Hickory Blvd
Davidson Co., TN
2013 September 6
7:10-7:35am

Despite the dense fog in places along I-40 heading into
Nashville, I drove out to Bells Bend and the sod farm
fields on Old Hickory Blvd. near where that road dead
ends at the Cumberland River. Much of the way was in dense
fog, and I thought that perhaps it would be a wasted trip
on that account. Arriving at the big field on the right, there
were 30+ CANADA GEESE feeding, which may have forced the
KILLDEER to move to the right, closer to the sod farm buildings.
On my first pass I found nothing else and went to the river to
search the other grass field there. Retracing my route, I stopped
again at the big field, searching the loose KILLDEER flock
before spotting something much more interesting. It turned out
to be a single immature BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER, feeding near
but not really in the KILLDEER flock. Fortunately, by this time
the fog had partially lifted and the bird moved a bit closer to
the road, feeding in front of the long tubular irrigation pipe.
A very good start to my Friday morning.

Frank Fekel
Bellevue, TN
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES