[TN-Bird] Location Correction for Dark Morph Harlan's

  • From: Jud Johnston <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 17:51:11 -0600

Sylvia and I were lucky enough (it came back to the same tree) to re-find the dark morph hawk today that we found Monday.  I need to correct the location I reported.  The bird was actually at the corner of Puckett Lane and the upper leg of Campbell Brown loop (DeLorme p.27 B6, extreme upper right).  Today's look revealed a pale gray subterminal band; also, a defined area of greener brown, if that makes sense, at the throat/upper breast.  I attempted some photos; if any are worthwhile, I'll share them.  There was no white on the throat/upper breast.

There is a metal equipment barn at this corner, and some agricultural equipment parked on the lot.  There is a small tree maybe 15-20 ' tall at the south end of the building.  This is the tree we found the hawk perched in both times.  We flushed it today, and it went west, over an open field; we chased, and it eventually returned to the barn, perching in one of the other trees.  Later it moved up Puckett Lane to a power line.  Then some good ole boys came along in a 4-wheeler and it flushed again, and we lost it.  The good ole boys had been looking at an eagle they thought was a monster, and wondered if it were a golden.  I got the Sibley's out and we discussed the field marks, with the conclusion that it was an immature bald eagle.  They were, in fact, pretty good old boys.

I should note the location change puts this bird in Dyer County. It's only a mile or so east of TN-78.

Good birding,

Jud Johnston

Waynesboro

TN-Bird requires you to sign your message with your first and last name and the city/town and state where you live. You should also report the county and the date of observation of all sightings. _____________________________________________________________