[TN-Bird] Little Blues and Snowys continue - Hamilton Co

  • From: tim jeffers <tim.a.jeffers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:49:13 -0400

(7/28/15)
The Snowy Egrets and Little Blue Herons that have been reported this month
at Greenway View Dr in Chattanooga (ebird hotspot "South Chickamauga Creek
Greenway pond") are still around.
The most I have seen at once is 2 of each species. Frequently I see 2 of
one and 1 of the other. I have photos of both species, altho the Snowys
are quite camera shy. A good look at the head and bill makes the ID easy
(the Snowy's stiletto-like black bill especially).

Be patient when looking for them. Even tho they are white there are lots
of places for them to hide from view. The levee side provides more open
viewing. If there has been a recent rain, check the small ditch across
Greenway View Dr.

Also watch for Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Green Heron, Great Egret, Wood
Duck, Red-headed Woodpecker, Belted Kingfisher....

Tim Jeffers
Hamilton Co