[TN-Bird] Lincoln's Sparrow, Whigg Meadow, Monroe Co.

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:40:44 +0000

I spent a short time at Whigg Meadow Banding Station, Monroe Co. from Sunday
night through Tues morning with good migration conditions.  Unfortunately we
didn't catch many birds and morning flight calls were in short supply.  A
highlight for me was a Lincoln's Sparrow banded on 10 Sept 12.

A few other highlights:

10 Sept 12
Merlin
smattering of high flying Broad-winged Hawks
Osprey flying south high over the mountains

11 Sept 12
still slow with flight calls in the morning, but once the sun came over the
mountain things got hopping with a flock that consisted of the following (all
seen from basically one spot as birds came and went):

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1
White-eyed Vireo - 1
Philadelphia Vireo - 1
Blue-headed Vireo - 4+
Swainson's Thrush - 8+
Ovenbird - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 3
Tennessee Warbler - 25+
American Redstart - 2
Magnolia Warbler - 6+
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 4+
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 6+
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 4
Orchard Oriole - 1 female (getting very late for these guys)
Indigo Bunting - 1 (I rarely see Indigo's up on the meadow)

I had to leave when the birds got going unfortunately.  Till next time!

Good birding!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency