[TN-Bird] Lincoln's & Orchard Oriole - Knox

  • From: luvsbirdn <luvsbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:04:48 -0800 (PST)

While birding the Turkey Creek wetland area in west Knox County yesterday
morning (~8:15 - 9:30) with my wife, we noticed 2 very interesting birds:
1) Lincoln's Sparrow
2) Orchard Oriole (female)

Both birds were on the weedy side (outside) of the paved path, maybe 20-40 yds
west of the interpretive sign ("Fall Flora Fauna Farragut") - both at nearly
eye level in the weeds & both occasionally perching in the small trees on that
same side of the path. We got very good looks at both birds. Saw the Lincoln's
first, then about 30 minutes later on our way back through (searching for the
Lincoln's again) we saw the oriole.

1) The Lincoln's sparrow was unusually cooperative, offering good looks from
all angles.  "Razor crisp" fine streaks on buff-ochre breast and flanks, very
small central breast spot, thin eye ring, brown crown (maybe even rusty-brown)
finely streaked with black & having a thin, light-colored central crown stripe;
much more delicate than song sparrow - especially the bill, and much more
"finely" marked than song or swamp.

2) The orchard oriole was a complete shock as this is way beyond any normal
departure date.  It was too large and long-tailed for a warbler (chat was
immediately ruled out as the bill was all wrong and this bird was completely
yellow underneath - although I believe Stedman and others have documented
winter chat records for TN).  Tanagers immediately ruled out as the bill was
typically oriole-like (again, all wrong for a tanager - which would be equally
odd this time of year).  Dull green above, white wing bars, rather bright
yellow underneath - including undertail.  Perhaps I'm not considering all
possibilities but I'm quite certain of what I saw.  Bird was quite active &
appeared to be foraging in 3-4 ft tall weeds, though I couldn't tell if it was
eating weed seeds/flowers or finding insects.  I paid little attention to the
weedy vegetation as far as species but not likely I could ID anyway.  Behavior
was not typically oriole-like in my
 experience - but the bird was what it was.

The latest date for orchard oriole in east TN has been reported to me as
Sept. 30.  Carole Gobert reported a female orchard oriole in this same area on
Sept. 27 of this year.  This possibly is the same individual even though our
sightings were 6 wks apart and the bird I saw would seem to be "lost" at this
point.  The bird appeared perfectly healthy so I doubt it is "lingering" due to
an injury.

Kelly Roy
Knoxville TN

                       MAP RESOURCES