[TN-Bird] Re: Lewis County: freeze impacts

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

It didn't get quite that cold in Knoxville but we did set a new
record low temperature for the entire month of April (23F).  Records
here go back into the 1800s.  Even the plants I covered over were
frozen including the new sprouts on the Pineapple Sage that
survives and blooms into December.

In the woods behind our house, on Black Oak Ridge in west Knox Co
at 1100 ft, only the dogwoods, cherries, and serviceberries seem
to have survived without harm.  The oaks, hickories, black gums,
maples, redbuds, locusts, and tuliptrees are all brown.  Hickories
were mostly done with blooming but the oaks and black gums had just
started.

The Eastern Tent Caterpillars are in a stupor but seem to have
survived and will have food to eat because the cherries survived
Good news for the cuckoos.

Haven't checked on all the nests in the yard yet.  I spent Easter
Sunday with the in-laws in Louisville, Blount Co.  They have a
Red-tailed Hawk nesting across from their pond.  They were feeding
at least one chick throughout the day.  At home, we heard our first
Barred Owl of the year calling before dawn Sunday morning.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES