[TN-Bird] Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "knoxmartin2@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 14:03:37 -0400 (EDT)

Over the weekend an injured Red-tailed Hawk was brought to the Mid-South Raptor
Center after being found unable to fly on a farm near Davy Crockett State Park
in Lawrenceburg, TN. The bird was unusual in that it was a leucistic Red-tail.
Other than three red tail feathers the bird was almost completely white.
Obviously not a true albino as the eyes were norman color. Also much too white
to be a Krider's Red-tail. The farmer said the bird had been nesting on his
farm for at least three years making the bird at least four years old. Birds of
this color are generally predated at a young age. I have never seen a leucistic
hark in my almost thirty years of rehabbing. If the bird lives it will be on
permanent display at the park. Due to a severe wing break the bird would net be
able to be released, but it should be fine for a display/education bird at the
park.

Knox Martin, Director
Mid-South Raptor Center
Memphis, Shelby County, TN