[TN-Bird] Re: Leucistic Common Grackle

  • From: "Mathis" <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ellsy10@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:23:40 -0500

Dan,

Wow! Interesting.

Cecelia Mathis
Sparta, NC

From: Dan Ellsworth
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 5:27 PM
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Leucistic Common Grackle

Yesterday I had the largest Common Grackle flock to ever visit my yard.
Conservatively there were 600+ around my yard at one time eating everything
they could find.  I took some pictures when they were the most dense to help
with my counting.  They were eating anything from earthworms to fruit that fell
off my trees as seen by the bird in the attachment.  They picked my yard clean,
but most interesting was the one Leucistic Grackle in the attached picture.  It
is bad quality but the best I could get.  Most of them had taken off but the
leucistic Grackle lingered longer to finish what it was eating and it was just
enough time to get the picture.  First Leucitic Grackle I have seen in person
so I wanted to share.

Dan Ellsworth
Knox County, Tennessee