[TN-Bird] Re: Least likely TN bird?

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird listserve <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:50:21 -0600

Out of curiosity, I pulled up eBird maps and counted the number of inland reports on the maps from states that border Tennessee. Note that eBird is not exhaustive, nor is it restricted to birds that have been through official BRC review, but it's a readily available and large database that has been through at east one level of review. First, the species that people have mentioned in this thread:

Shiny Cowbird - 0
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - 0
Variegated Flycatcher - 0
Ivory Gull - 1
South Polar Skua - 1
King Eider - 1
(Hooded Oriole - 1 but not in the game)
Red-necked Stint - 1
Garganey - 2
Limpkin - 2 (excluding birds below the fall line)
Violet-green Swallow - 2
(Long-billed Murrelet - 2, not on the official TN list but in eBird for TN)
Band-tailed Pigeon - 3
Barnacle Goose - 3 (birds judged wild by eBird reviewers)
Black-throated Sparrow - 3
Gyrfalcon - 4
Sage Thrasher - 5
Northern Gannet - 6
Barrow's Goldeneye - 6
Wilson's Plover - 7
Snowy Plover - 9
Groove-billed Ani - 11
Lark Bunting - 13
Eurasian Wigeon - 16
Lazuli Bunting  - 23 (almost all MO and AR)
Vermilion Flycatcher - 34
Northern Shrike - 42
Harris's Sparrow >100

Some of these birds do not have validated eBird records for TN in spite of being on the official list. So even though we have better historical data entry in eBird that many other states, we still are missing a bunch of rarities.

Now some other species that were not mentioned in the thread (unless I overlooked them):

Purple Sandpiper - 1
Kirtland's Warbler - 4
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel 5
Yellow-billed Loon - 7
Chestnut-collared Longspur - 8
Green Violetear - 10
Townsend's Solitaire - 10
White-winged Crossbill - 38

Also, Ancient Murrelet is not on the TN list nor are there eBird reirts from any adjacent states, but there is a report from IL

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES