[TN-Bird] Re: Least likely TN bird?

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:07:24 -0500 (EST)

I saw the GA South Polar Skua (SPSK), but as I recall, it was found after
passage of a tropical storm.  There are other, inland reports of SPSK from
coastal states following storms and even one truly inexplicable,
photographed record from North Dakota.

On the Hooded Crane, there are at least 4 NAm sightings including one in
Indiana last year shortly after the TN bird disappeared that was was
almost certainly the same bird.  Given the longevity of individual cranes,
I rate the odds of this particular bird returning to TN some day higher
than another Varieagated Flycatcher showing up.  Anyway, it is not on the
official list (yet?) so bit of a moot point for this game.

On a side note, I had an impressive (to me) 7 towhees at the feeders at
once this morning.  Sadly none were overly spotted nor had green tails or
even white eyes.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan