[TN-Bird] Lauderdale-Dyer Co. TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:20:51 EST

March 20, 2005

I made a run up through Lauderdale Co. and ended up at a couple of roadside
wet areas off the Great River Road just north of the Obion River bridge.

In two areas of the Lower Hatchie NWR, I counted 91 Greater Yellowlegs, 29
Lesser,  384 Pectoral Sandpipers and 51 Wilson's Snipe. In a wet area out  in a
plowed field in the Chickasaw NWR I found 7 Greater Yellow legs and 3
Lesser.

I walked into the observation area at the Chickasaw Headquarters and had 16
species of waterfowl plus 27 Greater Yellowlegs, 17 Lesser, 119 Pectoral
Sandpipers and 27 Wilson's Snipe. There was a 3rd year Bald Eagle watching from

the top of a cypress for an afternoon snack.

In Dyer Co, I had an unusual American Pipit of the Rocky Mountain race. The
bird had a perfectly clear, buffy pink breast. When I first saw the bird I
thought it might be a Northern Wheatear but the tail was too long. Mark Greene
and I had looks at one of the reddish birds from out west but it was streaked.
 Birds like this are not good for the OL'COOT's heart.

In the same area I had, 8 Golden-Plovers, 15 Greater Yellowlegs, 11 Lesser,
161 Pectorals and 19 Wilson's Snipe. Aaaah! Shorebirds.

The few Red-tailed Hawks seen, appeared to be resident birds only, There  are
still a few Harriers patrolling the fields.

Good  Birding!!!
Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN

PS: Kenny Nichols reported a Ruff at the minnow ponds in Prairie Co,  AR in a
thousand or so shorebirds, so be on the look out as they sneak through
early. He also had Baird's Sandpipers which also go through early and usually
mis-IDed at this time of the year and then there is a delay until a larger
movement over a month or so later.