[TN-Bird] Late Weekend Update

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:36:24 EDT

Sunday, October 19, 2003
Ensley Bottoms and Dacus Bar
Shelby Co. TN
There was a little turnover at the pits from Saturday and also it was dry
enough for me to make it to all the back holes and out of the way places. Two
species added to the Saturday List were 2 Greater Yellowlegs that have been
coming and going from TVA Lake from McKellar Lake plus a single Semipalmated
Plover. They bring the weekend Wind Bird species count to 13. Only one Western
Sandpiper could be found on Sunday among the many Least Sandpipers but the
Pectoral
count went up to 7 and the Dunlin count went to 9.

On the Mississippi River, a shortened vigil of only 2 hours did find a few
migrating Pelicans (2 groups totaling 41 birds) and a couple of hundred DC
Cormorants sliding through. On the raptor side of the ledger were 11 Am.
Kestrel, 2
Sharp-shinned, 2 Cooper's, 7 Harrier, 2 Red-shouldered, 9 Red-tails and 7
Turkey Vultures all scooting south. Still only one Chimney Swift and a few
straggling Tree Swallows. In the gull line, I had 138 Ring-billed Gulls at
McKellar
and 19 on the River and an immature Herring.

The amazing thing on President's Island is how the numbers of Eurasian
Collared-Doves fluctuate, after counting over 400 a couple of weeks ago, I
located
less than 10 on Sunday. There are a lot of places you can't get to on the
Island and I suspect a lot are crossing over to the train yards to the south
where
they have been seen in good numbers for years, but that population can appear
and disappear just as readily.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA