[TN-Bird] Late Magnolia Warbler At The Honors Course

  • From: "David Stone" <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:12:20 -0400

    Today about 5:15 I watched at least one Magnolia Warbler (saw it more than
once) feeding on insects in small Elms near a creek. This is my latest date to
see one at the golf course (I also saw one at noon yesterday in the same area).

    Small Elms (only 10 feet tall with small trucks) hold onto their leaves
much longer in the fall than large trees. I think this attracts insects to
small trees later into the fall. On top of that you do not get warbler neck
looking at them!

David Stone
The Honors Course
Ooltewah, Tn.