[TN-Bird] Lark Sparrows in Gibson County

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

June 21, 2011
Gibson County

Today while driving down the road I live on, the Mt. Orange Road, just outside
Trenton, I spotted a small bird flying beside the road with white outside tail
feathers. I drove past the bird and stopped and the bird flew back and landed
in the road behind me. I put my binoculars on it and noted a beautiful adult
Lark Sparrow. I watched the bird for a couple of minutes and it flew into a
nearby wheat stubble field. I had a Lark Sparrow near my house, about 1/4 mile
away, a few weeks ago.

Later this afternoon I was working on Breece Road outside of Humboldt in Gibson
County and again I noted a small bird with white outside tail feathers flushing
from the road in front of me. The bird flew a short distance out into a field
and perched up on a power line. I put my scope on the bird and noted a young
Lark Sparrow. The bird sat on the line for a few seconds and then dropped down
into the field and I watched it feed for a couple of minutes before I drove off.

Lark Sparrows appear to be doing well here in Gibson county!

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County